Who Can Buy?

You have to be 21 or older to buy recreational cannabis products (we’ll get to them in a bit) and present a valid ID—a driver’s license or a passport will do just fine—upon entering a marijuana dispensary. People with a medical marijuana card issued by a doctor must be 18.

Where can i use cannabis?

You can use cannabis on private property. You cannot use, smoke, eat, or vape adult-use cannabis in public places. Property owners and landlords can ban the use and possession of cannabis on their premises. You cannot use cannabis within 1,000 feet of a school, day care center, or youth center while children are present.

Can i get a DUI if I drive while I am high?

Yes. If you are under the influence of cannabis while operating a car, boat, or other vehicle, a law enforcement officer can pull you over and conduct a sobriety test.

Understanding Cannabis Taxes in CA

Excise Tax

All retailers who sell cannabis to the public are subject to a 15% excise tax. This toll is based on the average market value of the cannabis sold, not the actual amount it’s sold for. If you buy an eighth for $1, but the average market value is $30, you’ll pay 15% of $30, not 15% of $1.

Where does the 15% excise tax go?

The money collected for this mandatory tax isn’t just part of the general fund; it’s been specifically allocated by Prop 64.

Local City Sales Tax

There’s no way to generalize how much this tax will be. It’s written into the code for the county or city where you make the purchase (Cathedral City where we are located is 10%).

Despite being called “sales taxes,” these aren’t really the sales and use taxes MMIC holders are exempt from. They’re a tax on selling cannabis, and it’s up to the local government to decide whether they’ll exempt card holders or not. There may also be local additional cannabis taxes for cultivation, manufacturing or other taxes. The amount also varies widely.

Sales and Use Tax

The sales and use tax is the typical tax we pay when buying anything. The sales tax amount differs in all areas, depending on the local markups from counties and cities. In L.A. it is 10%, Cathedral City where we are located it is 8.75%.

No matter the amount, if you have a valid state-issued MMID card from your county, you don’t have to pay this cannabis tax. The ONLY people exempt from this tax are people with a valid MMID card. Prop 215 patients are not exempt if they don’t have the card.


How much cannabis can I legally have?

If you are 21 or older you can buy and possess up to one ounce (28.5 grams) of cannabis and up to eight grams of concentrated cannabis. You can also plant, harvest, dry, and process up to six cannabis plants in your private residence or on the grounds of your residence. If you are 18 or older and have either have current qualifying physician’s recommendation, a valid county-issued medical marijuana identification card, or are a Primary Caregiver as defined in Health and Safety Code Section 11362.7(d), you can possess up to eight ounces of dried cannabis and up to six mature or 12 immature cannabis plants, unless the physician’s recommendation specifies a higher amount.

What is the limit on EDIBLE CANNABIS PRODUCTS?

Beginning July 1, 2018, edible cannabis goods may not exceed 10 milligrams of THC per serving and may not exceed 100 milligrams of THC per package.


Beginning July 1, 2018, non-edible cannabis products must meet package THC restrictions.

• Non-edible cannabis products shall not contain more than 1,000 milligrams of THC per package if intended for sale only in the adult-use market.
• Non-edible cannabis products shall not contain more than 2,000 milligrams of THC per package if intended for sale only in the medicinal market.

On January 1, 2018, it became legal in California for adults age 21 and older to use and possess up to eight (8) grams of concentrated cannabis (hashish). The new California marijuana law resulted from voter passage of Proposition 64 (marijuana legalization) in 2016.

However, possessing more than eight grams of concentrated cannabis is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to six (6) months in county jail.

Possessing any amount of concentrated cannabis is an infraction if you are under 21.


Beginning July 1, 2018, a licensee may only sell cannabis goods that have been tested and passed all testing requirements in effect at the time of testing. All cannabis goods must also be in CA approved child-resistant packaging.

Dank DePot

Cannabis store in Cathedral City, California

68-031 Ramon Rd, Cathedral City,
CA 92234, USA

Call: +1 760-832-8778


Sunday8:00am-10:00pm Monday8:00am-10:00pm Tuesday8:00am-10:00pm Wednesday8:00am-10:00pm Thursday8:00am-10:00pm Friday8:00am-10:00pm Saturday8:00am-10:00pm